Cold Outside: Warm up with Hot Chocolate…with a twist
Hot Chocolate Sure Does Warm You UP!
The temperature is cold outside and after some time in the brisk air, who doesn’t enjoy a warm cup of cocoa? Finding new ways to spice up the drink is always fun:
- mini marshmallows
- one giant marshmallow
- scoop of fluff
- toasted marshmallows
- cinnamon stick
- candy cane(probably our favorite)
But hot chocolate “the drink” can bring new dynamic to staples you feed your family that brings a little whimsy to an ordinary day. Try these great recipes with our hot chocolate interpretation.
Hot Cocoa Pancakes:
- 1 cup Pancake Complete Mix ( the kind that is add water only)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1-2 TBS sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Mix the pancake mix, cocoa, sugar, cocoa powder, 1/2 into a small mixing bowl and add 1 cup plus 1 TBS cool water. Whisk until fully incorporated and it is the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat a skillet lightly sprayed with cooking spray over low-med heat, allow the pan to get hot, then begin cooking your pancakes.
- Once ready to serve, add whipped cream, additional chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, or other fun toppings
Hot Chocolate Brownies
- Cooking spray
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate or cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- One 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 72 mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line baking pan with foil, and spray with the cooking spray.
- Mix together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl. Add the flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking powder and stir until combined. Add half the chocolate chips. Spread the mixture in the pan.
- PREP the semi-sweet chips to be melted. (Melt the chips right before the brownies are about to come out of the oven)
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. (until the brownies begin to pull away from the edges and are set in the center) Remove immediately, sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips, and let stand until they are very soft, about 5 minutes. Spread the melted chips, and let cool – about 10 minutes. Top each with mini marshmallows.